Too Good Offers in Social Media Adverts can be Scam
If you have never seen adverts on social media especially Facebook, of stores asking you to buy an Item for free but asking you to only pay for delivering or shipping fee, that means you have never seen enough online. Uncountable times, have I seen such adverts, including online shops asking people to buy a watch of $250 for free but only advise you to pay $45 for the shopping fee.
At the end of the day, people who ordered for such goods or service got nothing in return. Mostly, this is due to the way the scammer presented the offer. Camouflaging to be something genuine. Promising what they won’t deliver. If you are reading this and you have fallen a victim before, I will like you to comment at the end of this post to sensitize people. However, if you haven’t fallen a victim, I consider you lucky indeed. Read my A-Z guide on how to avoid this criminals.
Wrong believe of Online shoppers on HTTPS
Below are the proven and effective ways to know whether an E-commerce website is genuine or not. Also, beware that some fake online shop can steal your Credit/Debit card data. This will give them access to the funds in your bank account. Some casual internet users believe that. once a site has HTTPS logo they can transact securely with such site without Credit/Debit theft. Such internet users don’t know that, HTTPS is just for securing data from middle man interference. Site owners can retrieve all the data you submitted to them from their database (if they save such information). No matter how, scammers can’t pass all this methods I will outline for you below.
Verified ways to Discover E-commerce scam
- Office Address: be wise! Don’t patronize stores without a verified office address. Most Fake E-Commerce websites utilizes false location or location they don’t own. Some sites i have seen, also, use address that doesn’t exist at all or avoid including their address. My second advise is that don’t patronize non-popular stores abroad or those that aren’t close to where you live. This is due to the fact that it may be difficult for you to verify their location.
- Cooperate Registration: stores that doesn’t seems to be registered under Government authorized “cooperate registration agency” are dangerous to use. Most countries of the world have their “registered company directories” online, that you can use to search or verify companies registration. This will enable you to log a complaint against any company by using “The Customers and Consumers Complaint Commission” in their company of registration. You may also file a case suit against them. All this will be impossible, if the E-Commerce site you are dealing with is a ghost, not recognized by the Government.
List of Registered Companies directories in some Top countries
- DNS lookup: DNS is an abbreviation that means “domain name server/system”. A typical website is hosted on a server whose address is in numbers (IPV4) or mixed with alphabets (IPV6) (e.g 126.96.36.199). Since numbers are difficult to memorize, we need to use words to name websites. This is where DNS comes in angrycheat.com is the domain name of IP 188.8.131.52. Learn more on Wikipedia about Domain name server. DNS lookup means to search a domain name in the domain name directories to get some information about a website. This will give you information on the age, the owner, contact details, the server hosting it and many more. By running a DNS lookup on a website you can know more about it and deduce whether it is a scam from the information you get there. You can run a domain check on Whois tool provided by ICAAN.org. However, this doesn’t give 100% guarantee whether a site is a scam or not, but you are advised to learn more about any website before transacting with such sites.
- Checking scam lists: some websites used as scamming tools has already been listed by some top websites that release updates on latest scam sites. You can use such sites to verify whether an E-Commerce site is legit or not. However, a scam website may have not yet been listed by scam directories due to the fact that they aren’t aware of such site. You can report a scam site to them by using the provided means on their sites to help other internet users.
- Asking About previous experience: this is another mean to filter dangerous sites. By asking people whether they have used an E-Commerce site before is a good way to know if such site is trustworthy. However, when doing such verification or asking about authenticity of an E-Commerce site don’t do it where the site owners can see it, because he may pay people to lie in reply to you. I have heard cases of “pay to comment” before. Good comments below a social media advert may not be true all the time. Asking your trusted friends is only good. You can verify from us too at Angrycheat to know whether a site is genuine.