Why can’t my Antivirus detect a Virus on my phone?
Most people trust their antivirus more than God. They believed once they run a scan and the antivirus tells them that their device is free or secure from virus, that’s all. Not knowing that most virus have found ways to circumvent being detected.
Another main reason why virus aren’t detectable by antivirus is that most of the softwares use old virus definition. This has prevented them from being effective in terms of recognition of virus. Even most Antivirus themselves have been affected by virus.
How to know virus behavior by the permission application asked for
In Android OS (operating system), virus can easily take different forms by asking you to grant them permission. You unaware, do what they want. However, the new Android Oreo has included a way to stop excess permission by Android applications.
How can an a calculator app be asking for permission to record audio, make call, use internet, send message and the like? One thing you should be aware of is that never download application from untrusted sources. I personally recommend Play store or Apkpure.com for all your application download.
Five (5) Main Characteristics of Malicious Applications
- Excessive Data Consumption: you may find this strange but it is true and a fact indeed. I will use the calculator application as another example here also. If you have a calculator application that consumes more than 200KB of data per month, kindly remove it and run a memory space/ junk clean up. This application may have been downloading malicious files into your phone or uploading your data to a remote server. Beware, computer virus are dangerous.
- Excessive and irrelevant permission: I have briefly discussed excessive permission by apps in this article earlier. Malicious apps that contains virus will always ask for many insane permissions like Device Administration, launching activities without permission, writing or updating other apps data, run in background etc. A camera app asking for permission to send message without permission should be flagged as a dangerous app. Be wise with the way you give apps permission. Mostly I restrict insane apps from having access to internet.
- Application with no user interface (UI): User Interface is a visible screen where you can utilize an application. This is where you input data and retrieve data by looking at the screen. Currently, you are viewing Angrycheat from your browser’s interface. If you download an application and install it, and couldn’t see the application on the menu, know for sure that it has gone hidden. Therefore, it may behave anyhow without you knowing. Go to your phone settings, from there you can view all the apps on your phone. Kindly uninstall the app and its remain file(s). Beware that not all apps without UI are virus. Some aren’t made to be on visible screen.
- Application that can’t be launched: some dangerous apps aren’t launchable. Their UI isn’t visible to you, but not that it doesn’t have. Such apps should be removed immediately and its remaining files deleted. This is because the application may have been affected by virus or is a virus. You can inform Google Play about such application.
- Unused application consuming power: indiscriminate Consumption of power by unused applications is dangerous. This could damage the phone battery and lifespan of the phone. Heavy power consumption while unused is a sign that the app is running in background and it may be using the network signal to send out data.
End note on Virus
These are some of the many ways you can detect and flag computer virus on Android. Beware that virus can destroy, steal data and do unthinkable harms. Credit card leakage, identity theft, privacy intrusion etc are just the smallest things virus are capable of doing.